Sunday 19 February 2017

Joseph Miller writes home


It's always a bonus when a postcard includes details of the sender. Writing to Mrs H Limpkin of Heath House, Linton, near Burton-on-Trent, 11895 Rfn Joseph Miller of the King's Royal Rifle Corps wrote, "Just a line to let you no [sic] I arrived safe at Winchester. I don't no [sic] how long I shall be stationed here for my arm is not better yeat and I expect I shall go under opertaion with it. I think that is all this time..." He gave his address as 3 Coy, KRR, The Huts, Winchester.

Jospeh Miller, according to surviving papers, attested on the 27th August 1914 and served overseas from the 29th November 1914 with the 1st and latterly the 16th Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps. He appeared in a list of 1st Battalion wounded published on the 9th June 1915 and again on the 13th April 1917 when he was recorded as suffering from shell shock. He was discharged on the 5th February 1919 aged 22.  

Unpicking the information above, my guess would be that Joseph sent the postcard aftre he had been wounded (in the arm) whilst serving with the 1st Battalion. I think he recovered from this wound, was posted to the 16th Battalion and served in France and Belgium where he was subsequently invalided with shell shock, later being invalided out of the army as a result of this.

I research soldiers! 
Contact me if you need help with your military ancestor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment