Sunday, 4 March 2012
Identifying the Guards
I picked up a copy of Anthony Edgeworth's The Guards yesterday and, looking at the photos, was reminded of an easy way to identify a particular regiment of Foot Guards. Simply look at the arrangement of the buttons on their tunics.
In terms of regimental precedence, the Grenadier Guards come first, followed by the Coldstream Guards, the Scots Guards, the Irish Guards and finally, the Welsh Guards.
1. The Grenadier Guards - 1st - buttons arranged singly:
2. The Coldstream Guards - 2nd - buttons arranged in pairs:
3. The Scots Guards - 3rd - buttons arranged in groups of three:
4. The Irish Guards - 4th - buttons arranged in groups of four:
5. The Welsh Guards - 5th - buttons arranged in groups of five:
Easy when you know how.
The black and white photograph is courtesy of art.co.uk and then, in order of regimental precedence, The Daily Mail, Artangel, London SE1 and BBC News.