Saturday 29 November 2014

1st Battalion, Irish Guards 1916

 
 
I can't remember now how I 'acquired' this image. I obviously downloaded it from somewhere and so any infringement of copyright is unintentional. I do think it is worth sharing because it shows Sergeant Owen Wellspring's squad, presumably photographed at the Irish Guards' barracks in 1916. I have another similar photograph of another "squad" in 1918 and I wonder how many other squad photos there are out there.
 
Owen Wellspring served overseas and was killed in action on the 2nd August 1917. He was 27 years old, the husband of Catherine Wellspring (who later re-married and became Catherine Cappock) of 23 Queen Street, Dublin. Owen has no known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial at Ypres. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission notes that at the time of his death he was serving with No 2. Company, 1st Battalion, Irish Guards and so it's possible that he was also with that company when this photo was taken and that therefore the men here are also in No 2. Company.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, looking for Joseph Patrick Lynam . I was told he was in the guards. He is my grandfather and lived in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's possibly one of these two men: https://britisharmyancestors.co.uk/search-result/?q=J*+p*+lynam+guards

    ReplyDelete